Friday, March 13, 2009

When Do I Get to be in Charge of my Life?

For those of you who don't know I've been toying with the idea of moving to SF when my lease is up in June. This wouldn't be a permanent move just for six or so months. I could live with my sister rent free and spend time with Gina and Michelle and my two nieces Sierra and Sedona. I see my sisters and my nieces maybe once a year on average and this would be an opportunity to save some money (which I desperately need to do) and have some bonding time. I've already talked with work and they said it most likely would not be a problem for me to transfer there. I would have to leave my friends and that would be sad but I would be back. I am 23 years old and I just graduated and I don't have any real ties at the moment. This would be the time to take some adventure.
I called my parents to let them know I was thinking about this possibility tonight. I was expecting for them not to be super supportive but their reaction I was not expecting. I realize that I did just graduate and that my parents might not realize this but I am an adult. I can make my own choices for my life and they cannot have the final say. They have helped me out financially with school and life over the past (almost) five years but I've been living on my own this whole time. I wonder when if ever I will be considered an adult in their eyes? When if ever will they think I am able to decided things for myself?
You know what angers me the most out of the whole situation? Part of my doesn't want to go only because I don't want to cause any drama with my parents. I know I can do things on my own and I know I am fully capable to decided things on my own but somehow I still just don't want to deal with parents that aren't pleased.

1 comment:

HiddenKinship said...

that does suck. I fully understand why you were so pissed last night. if anything, you should go just to prove that you *are* an adult--and then perhaps they will finally see that you are more than capable of making your decisions. (and I mean, come on, you'd even be closer to them for a few months....they should be thrilled).